Friday, June 4, 2010

Easy delicious homemade poptarts?!

Oh man, Poptarts. I remember those things from America. They were nasty! I always liked the Toaster's Strudel better. I was sipping peppermint tea on my porch thinking longingly back to my past of the little sweet toaster pastries with more instructions than a nuclear missile (why IS that?). I thought of being a child and running with a Pop-tart in my hand towards my friends.

I lied.

Honestly, I just had way too much jam and preserves from the last few weeks of being inundated with fruit that I wanted to beat that smug look off my neighbour's face. You know the one. The one that INSISTS packaged food is the best and homemade cannot compare. I can hardly blame the woman - she is clearly suffering from brain trauma due to malnutrition since she doesn't know what food tastes like.


The "Ha-ha I'm Better Than You" Easy Peasy Wheat Poptarts

2 sticks (1c) of butter, chilled and cubed into small pieces
1 1/2c wheat flour
1 1/2c self raising
1 tsp. salt
1 tablespoon sugar
Small bowl ice water

Place butter, salt, sugar and flours in Kitchen Aid or food processor. Blitz until the little pieces resemble wet sand. Keep on low while pouring cold water a tablespoon at a time into the dough until it begins to stick together. Roll onto floured surface into equal sized disks. Refridgerate for an hour.

Flour surface of table. Measure out ten to twelve balls from each disk (use one disk at a time, the colder and more last minute, the better). Roll each ball until large rectangle. Place jam on one of the short sides, away from the edges. Fold dough over and press with fork. Place in pan, wash with eggs and sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake at 200c/400F for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment