Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Chicken Soup with Matzo


Passover is coming and that means I need to use my husband as a guinea pig for my meals I will be serving in three weeks. Normally you're supposed to strain the chicken soup and use the broth for matzo, but I don't like that. I like chunky chicken soup with matzo. And since I had to spend all day cleaning not, I wanted something I could throw in the crockpot and forget about all day.

Matzo Ball Dough (what you though we were using boxed?):

4 eggs
4 tablespoons of oil
4 tablespoons of ice cold water
1 cup coarse matzo meal
1 tspn of salt
dash of pepper

Mix all ingredients in bowl. Refridgerate. Really, it's not much harder than boxed at all. If anything, pretty much the same.

Chicken Soup:
3 chicken breasts or 6 thighs, diced
1 spanish onion, diced
3 celery stalks, sliced thinly
2 carrots, sliced thinly
1.5L water
3 tablespoons chicken stock + 1 chicken stock cube
3 bay leaves
handful fresh thyme
handful fresh parsley
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
ground cumin and tumeric to taste

Throw all in all ingredients minus cumin and tumeric in the crockpot. Chicken on bottom, veggies on top, cover with water, chick in the stock and fresh herbs and set on low for 6 hours.

When nearing ready to eat, boil a chicken stock cube and a litre of water. Take matzo out of fridge and form into balls. Drop gently into boiling stock. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes.

Add cumin and tumeric to soup last ten minutes, dish to everyone and place matzo balls gently into soup with slotted spoon.

Delicious, healthy and just in time for Passover!


No comments:

Post a Comment