Saturday, February 13, 2010

Farm-Fresh Friday: Pineapple Upside Down Cake


Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a 1970s classic tea cake designed to be eaten with 'tea', AKA vodka and schapps. I couldn't think of a single thing more cliche to post and since I'm a big fan of overexposed cliches, I thought I'd share.

Now I hate canned pineapple and I hate maraschino cherries, so I used fresh. I got an awesome little dodad which pits cherries in one swell foop. I only needed 6 cherries and three slices of pineapple cut in half for this, which is always a nice thing.

For the cake:
1 1/2c type "00" flour
2/3c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2/3c milk
1/4c butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Combine dry ingredients then add wet. Really I don't know why I even need to say this, it's so obvious. I bunged it all in my kitchen aid and let it go for a couple minutes and it was done.

Upside Down Topping
1/4 pineapple
6 cherries
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup brown sugar

Melt the brown sugar and butter in a ban-marie and pour at the bottom of a round 9" pan. Layer your pineapple slices and cherries onto the pan in the sugary goo. Pour cake batter over and bake at 180° for half an hour.

Of course if you use shiny pretty canned fruit with ten times more sugar, the design will be slightly more attractive, but I prefer it much more natural. 2/3c sugar is still quite a bit for something you don't really need in your diet, so I like the fruitier approach, but feel free to use canned pineapple if you wish.

Flip rightside upside down and serve warm with ice cream and peach vodka. Or tea. Or peach vodka.






No comments:

Post a Comment